Over Nine Decades of Excellence
The tradition and eating excellence at “The Espanol” began at 114 Jay Street in 1923. For several years “The Espanol” was a Basque boarding house owned by Castro Arrate and Victoriano Urratia. During those first years, most of the tenants were sheephearders who hired out to local ranchers. It was during these years that Mamerto Fernandez became partner by buying out Mr. Urratia.
In the early 1930’s, Ancil Hoffman (the legendary Sacramentan and manager of the late Max Baer) took over ownership of the building. Little by little outsiders were introduced to the boarders’ food and “The Espanol” became a favorite restaurant of many “Old Time” Sacramentans.